Sonntag, 14. September 2014

[Sunday Stamps] Automobiles



Here we go. First time, that I participate with the Sunday Stamps. I thought that it would be very easy to find some stamps about automobiles. I found a lot of trains, ships and airplanes, but very rare automobiles. 



This stamp is a new 2014 stamp from Austria. It shows the Austro Daimler  ADR 22/70 automobile which was produced till 1931 in Austria. It was a high class automobile and was sold very expensive all over the world. The maximum speed was about 105 km/h.

When I went to the post office, I asked for some special and pretty stamps. Here in Austria normally you get automatically the common stamps from the edition of the year- cheap in production and high in circulation. Nearly always the same picture.
So the man who worked at the post office said, that there is one special stamp left. What? One big post office has only one special issue stamp? And that doesn't mean, that there is only one type of stamps, no, really there was only one stamp in general. It was this stamp.
In the end I was feeling a little bit disappointed about the post office. Happy, that I get one finally, but also sad, that the time, when you can go to the post office and choose a pretty stamp, has come to an end.

I found also a very interesting stamp between my little collection of the German Democratic Republic. As my origin is there, I love the stamps of the GDR.  This one shows an ambulance in 1963. The stamp was a special issue for the centenary of the international medical aid organisation Red Cross,






14 Kommentare:

  1. They always have "pretty" stamps here. Even when they don't have a particular one in the local post office, you can still order it online.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. I started also to order some beautiful stamps online (it's a good possibility), but it's not the same feeling. When I am going to the post office, I am always curious. I like the atmosphere.
      It was always very clear...to get stamps, go to the post office. It feels like the fruits market only sell apples and no other fruits anymore. Somehow strange and sadly.

      Löschen
    2. I think I recognize your feelings well. Here in the Netherlands, alas they even have closed all post offices. The last post office closed a few years ago. And I miss it, the atmosphere and all, the tingling feeling when I knew new stamps would be issued, looking forward to entering the building and to learning which new stamps there would be.

      After closing the real post offices, the post company started stamp selling points / post agencies in regular shops. They have a little variety of stamps sold, there, now. But it's not the same as it used to be, so nowadays I usually order my stamps online.

      Löschen
    3. Nice stamps, though! I love those DDR ambulance stamps. And the postmark is interesting, too.

      Thank you for sharing!

      Löschen
    4. But in the end, I am very happy that there exist still some post offices and there is also one special central left, where you get everything. But not in the normal offices.
      When I think of some villages... they have closed a lot of post offices. It would be horrible always to go by car some miles to find a post office.

      Löschen
  2. Sometimes in the USA I get funny looks if I ask for pretty stamps, but there are always some, as postcardy says. So happy you were able to join us, and hope to see you again.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. I've also found that autos are rarer on stamps than trams and trains. And I see your point about being able to go into the post office and choosing from the 'pretty' stamps they have. It's just not as much fun doing it online!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. It's a common problem in the UK with may post offices now part of shops. Yes you can buy a commemorative sometimes - but even then they will only sell a presentation pack at an exorbitant price.
    Yours is the first Austrian stamp I have seen for a long time, Glad you have joined us.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I like that they show the car badge as well as the car. I know exactly what you mean about post offices, I asked for some stamps I knew had just been issued and my local post office did not even know about them, sad.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. I have been living in a Moroccan city for more than two years and I have been able to buy... seven different stamps.
    So, please, don't complain about variety... :P

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Ohh I am very sorry. ;) But I would love to experience Morroco. Are you morrocan origin or did you choose to live there?

      But I think the feeling is not really about variety...it makes me more sad that the post loose more and more influence in life. And you can feel this, when something disappears what seemed to be normal.

      Löschen
    2. I'm European living in Morocco for a while, due to my husband's job.
      Welcome to Sunday Stamps; I participate from time to time.

      Löschen
    3. I won't complain anymore, Hawwa :-) I always love your stamps, and the post office manages to put the postmark in different places (and it's no joke: I really love postmarks, too!). Besides that you manage to create such beautiful envelopes. Apologies from me, too!

      And I agree, Calantha, to me it feels like the good-old post doesn't have the unique character it used to have anymore.
      Fortunately there are a lot of mail/stamp lovers, I hope we all will keep the postal spirit vivid!

      By the way, I am glad to read the two of you - Calantha and Hawwa - 'meet' here, because both of you share a similar interest, besides Post/Mail, Arab culture!

      Löschen
    4. I know you love!
      It was a joke. You can complain as long as you want... :D

      Löschen